Tuesday, February 18, 2014

February 18, 2014

I get asked all the time as I travel around with my two boys, "How do you do it?". I always want to respond "do what?" but I know what they mean. How do I get around with my boys and function like a human being. I'm halfway between offended and complimented, because I don't think two kids is beyond comprehension, but most of the time I am asked this when both boys are being prefect angels. My response is always the same, "You just do it." If I had a million kids in tow I think my answer would be the same. I pray, I lean on Him, and I just do it. Wondering how to do it gets me nowhere at this point. Sometimes you just have to learn by experience.

Last Tuesday Robert got to try Sweet Potatoes for the first time, and he seemed less than impressed. I am beginning to get the feeling he is not too crazy about this "solid food thing". We've tried a little solid food every night, and every night he gets mad and I stop. If he keeps this up, he'll nurse until he's 20, and that's just not going to happen!

Wednesday, the boys and I went to Barnes & Noble for story time where I was yet again asked the same old question and gave the answer I listed above. I did look around and see other people's children behaving very poorly, so I sort of get it. William behaves well most of the time, and people take notice of it. I have high (reasonable but high) expectations for him, and he usually lives up to them. I don't know if this would work for everyone, as William in general is an easy kid, but sometimes I think expecting the best from your kid instead of "knowing" they'll act up may be a good place to start. No, I'm not going to write a book on the subject, I am far from an expert!!! After Barnes & Noble, we made stops at Party city and Walmart before coming home for lunch. My boys are such troopers. Lesser children would not have made it. In the afternoon, we took Bella for her doggie annual and she actually gained a couple of pounds!! She is still underweight, but at least we are making progress.

Thursday, I went to MOMS bible study, which was AWESOME, and then headed to attend the end of a Valentine's party at a neighbor's (Ashly's) house. William got to play with Ranger in the morning, and then Oliver at noon. After a nap, he played with Rex, our next door neighbor's kid. You can't say this kid isn't social. He is an extrovert all the way!

Friday was Valentine's Day! William (and Robert) woke up to donuts and presents and cards from his parents, Sweetie, Nana and Mom Noble. He loved everything! Robert got toys and cards too, but was most enthusiastic about a frog toy that made noise. My boys are well loved! Well, I took my car to get the oil changed, and from the shop, the boys and I walked to the library which is across the street. We checked out books and hung around until the car was ready and headed back. Well, When we got to the intersection and were waiting to cross, William popped out of the stroller (without permission!) and fell. I ran and grabbed him, his head inches from the tire of the passing 18-wheeler truck. I could feel the wind from the truck, and knew I was less than a foot from scraping against it's side. I cried, grateful and scared, that God had protected us. William strapped himself back into the stroller and is very aware of trucks and cars now. He tells me all the time how he will listen and not get hit by a truck. He actually told me right afterward, "Mommy, I not want to get hit by truck and die. I want to stay with you and you take care of me." It really made an impression on him and I am glad. Maybe it will save his life along the way. I know God has great things planned for this boy, and I am so excited to see what He has in store. After we picked up my car, we had lunch at Freddy's with Angel and Ranger, complete with Frozen Custard for dessert. After a nap and quiet afternoon, Francis picked the three of us up and took us to Cheddar's for a Valentine's Dinner. I am so glad I have a husband who is willing to take me out even though we already had our Valentine's. He's a keeper.

Saturday we all got up bright and early and drove to Houston for my niece Abby's 3rd birthday party. The theme was Princess. Everything was purple and sparkly. William and Robert had a great time and the birthday girl was delighted with the birthday festivities! We also celebrated her dad, Chris's birthday with BBQ for dinner. His birthday is the day after hers, so we always end up lumping the two together. I hope they know they are both special!

Sunday we took it easy, Church, nap and tacos. Nothing says "day of rest" like homemade tacos, yum!

Francis has yesterday off (Presidents' Day) and so he was able to join us after William's Little Gym class for lunch at 5 Guys. William was so happy to have him there that he actually said, "Mommy I want to have lunch with Daddy by myself, not with you!" After a moment, though, he repented and said he wanted to have lunch with everyone. He's so funny. After lunch Francis went back with us for Practice time and got to see all the boys are learning. They are growing up so quick!!! Francis took William home for a nap while I stayed with Robert for his class. Then William got his wish and Francis and William went to the Thinkery for the rest of the afternoon. A happier little boy you will seldom meet. He came home and told me about all the fun stuff they did together. Pizza was on order for dinner and was a perfect end to the day. Robert tried squash, but was not a fan. He did, however like the taste of pizza sauce Francis gave him. That boy!

Today has been a day of cleaning, laundry, dishes and grocery shopping. William is a good helper, but he can be a little too enthusiastic. The phrase two steps forward and one step back comes to mind. His heart is in the right place. I'm so glad to have a willing child, and I try to always tell him I'm thankful.

My finger is still in a finger brace. It's been nearly two weeks now, and I wish it would hurry up and heal. I guess I'll just have to be patient. Hopefully by next week I'll be able to type using all my fingers! Till then!

No comments:

Post a Comment