Saturday, June 11, 2011

New York, New York!

I just got back from a week in New York. What a week! William was a trooper. Francis and I flew up late last Friday into New York City and drove with the rest of his family to the thriving metropolis of Fishkill, NY. After a short night, we attended the wonderful wedding of Jessica Phillips (Francis's cousin) to Jonathan Lawler. The wedding was so sweet. The theme was breakfast and authors and the colors were blue and yellow. It was wonderful to see all of Francis's extended family. They are some of the most wonderful people you could meet! After the wedding, we celebrated Francis's Aunt Andrea's (mother of the bride) 29th birthday. We had pizza and spent much of the night chatting and enjoying good company.

Sunday we hung out with the family at breakfast and at a mall before Franics, his parents, Cyndy, Chris, Abby and I headed into the city. What did we do as soon as we arrived? Headed straight to Time Square, of course!
Monday we visited the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. I always cry when I read the inscription on Miss Liberty. On the way back to our hotel, we walked down wall street and saw the preview of the 911 memorial which will be unveiled on September 11th of this year. I cried again. Their plan of honoring those who lost their lives is truly touching. I hope to visit again soon to see the real site after it is open. After having the best pizza ever for dinner, we walked down to Rockefeller center and went to the Top of The Rock. The view from there was spectacular. Cried for the third time that day (don't blame the hormones!). I got some amazing photos. We went through Times Square on the way back to see it at night. Also an amazing sight.
Tuesday we went up to central park. We did the met and walked around to see the monuments in the park. We got to eat at the famous Boathouse in the cafe. Then we went over to Trump Plaza (including the Apple store) and FAO Scwartz. My father-in-law and Francis played chopsticks on the famous foot piano. Dinner was at one of the most amazing Greek places. Wednesday after Francis and Chris headed back to Texas, the rest of us went back to Central Park to the zoo and Trump Plaza to get and Ipad 2 for my Father-in-law. The heat was rather unbearable, setting a near record high. NYC schools actually closed early both Wednesday and Thursday due to the heat.

Thursday we tried to go shopping on canal street, but the heat even in the morning was overwhelming both for us and sweet baby Abby. So we aborted the mission and went up to the Museum of Natural History. The air conditioning was more than welcome! My mother-in-law got to see all of the things from Night at the Museum including her favorite "Gum Gum for Dum Dum". We got a picture. Our dinner that night was the most spectacular Italian food. We just kept finding better and better food! William made sure I was always hungry and the food was never disappointing. After dinner was probably the best part of my trip: a Broadway Show! My mother-in-law and I went to see Mary Poppins! I had seen it before in Dallas, but it was even better on Broadway. After the show, I got to have dessert with my cousin Audrey and catch up. I've missed her!

Overall it was a great trip. William now has 5 new outfits and a toy thanks to our many visits to Toys R Us in Times Square and FAO Schwartz. He dropped a bunch this week either due to biology or all my walking. The whole top half of my stomach is now soft and I can feel him really low in my pelvis. I am starting to feel all sorts of pressure very low. My next appointment is Tuesday, so we will see what the doctor says.

I learned that being pregnant is the golden ticket in New York, but not in the way I expected. I always got a seat on the subway, but all but once it was a woman who gave up her seat. I love southern gentlemen! I also could have cut to the the front of the TKTS (half-price tickets) line. The worker who was running the line (which was very long!) motioned me to come to the front. If I had been wanting to buy tickets, I would have been set! This and many little attentions were different from past experiences in NYC. But when I looked around I noticed there are almost no pregnant women on Manhattan. I guess I am a novelty!

"Start spreading the news
I'm leaving today
I want to be a part of it
New York New York!"

No comments:

Post a Comment