Friday, August 31, 2018

August 31, 2018

Last weekend was busy. My parents and in-laws came in Saturday afternoon, and the kids got to go swimming at one of the hotels. Before that I introduced them to the Wizard of Oz. They watched with great interest and now wish to see many more old movies. I taped the kids reaction when the movie goes into color so I can always remember their smiles and amazement. After swimming, all 10 of us (6 plus grandparents) ate at Saltgrass for dinner. I am loving all the time we have had to spend with our parents lately. I wish it was this frequent all the time. After dinner my parents and Frankie's mom came back to the house to help put the kids to bed and watch the Christian comedy "Mom's Night Out". If you haven't seen it and like good clean humor, this movie is for you!

Sunday was Parent Dedication. Andrew looked super handsome and all the kids behaved well on stage. We dedicated ourselves to raise Andrew under God's direction and love. May he come to know Jesus as he grows in wisdom and stature. It was a beautiful time and having the grandparents there made it that much sweeter. We all had lunch at Red Lobster before everyone headed home. Andrew was a dream through it all, not crying and staying awake until we reached the car for lunch. He's a sweet baby all the time, to be honest. He's starting to smile more and more often which melts my heart even more than I thought was possible.

Monday we had a field trip to tour the back of Blue Baker. We've done this trip before but it is always fun and informative. Because most of the kids were school aged, the tour guide went much more in depth with how bread is made. the kids all listened closely and asked great questions, which impressed the lady. At the end the kids got to make their own loaf of bread (add mix-ins to premade dough) which we all enjoyed that evening.

Tuesday was our first day of Classical Conversations for the year. We had no nursery workers, so Hannah and Andrew joined me in Robert's class, but otherwise everything went off without a hitch. Both the littles were excellent in class; Andrew slept and Hannah participated or played quietly in the back. William was in class alone for the first time ever, but his tutor assured me he did amazing. I look forward to being in his class next week! Tuesday evening Hannah had her second dance class and is still in love with it. The teachers work well with her and she has come out with a sucker for good work both times.

Wednesday we went to the library and checked out way too many books. We are studying space right now among other things, and so we have a bunch from the library now. I also checked out Ella Enchanted, one of my favorite books at one time, in order to read it aloud to the kids. It's only been two days, but I've read over 100 pages out loud. The kids are hooked and nearly pitch a fit every time I stop. It's been fun to be the keeper of the story. I hope to be able to continue.

Thursday I took the kids to the children's museum. That evening I was able to attend the first Aggie football game of the season. I've only been to 1 other A&M game 12 years ago (after all I'm not an Aggie), so this was quite an experience. I can't explain the "spirit of Aggieland" feeling except to say Aggies are loyal and you can feel it in the air. It was such a fun time with these ladies, and I hope we are all able to hang out again. soon!

Today we had our last playgroup with Robin and Emerson. We went to Tarrow Splash-pad. I will miss our Fridays together. I am taking up the task of picking the spots, but it won't be the same!

Francis started his new job with Army Research Lab on Monday (yay for an official job!!). We are still learning exactly what will be expected, but for now we will rejoice in having a job. I"m so proud of him and how far we have come. He's a keeper!

The kids have all been growing faster than I can record. William is loving his new CC class, has  2 loose teeth (one that can turn sideways, ew!), and has a vocabulary that astonishes me and others. Robert has passed 42 inches, is reading pretty well now (spelling any word he can ), and doing simple addition in his head quickly. Hannah is such a sweetie: loving dance, clothes, babies and her brothers. She is starting to correctly sing her ABCs and count to 15 (more or less). Andrew is smiling so much these days, laughing, cooing and talking when engaged, and just yesterday realized he can hit things consistently with his hand when he tries. He's close to rolling from back to front and sleeps better than any of his siblings at this age (which honestly isn't saying much). Overall I'm tired and happy. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment