Wednesday, May 2, 2018

May 2, 2018

Things around here have been hopping to say the least. we finished up our Classical Conversations year on the 17th with a fun Super Hero review game and a park play date that afternoon. We had a library day Wednesday and the kids' dentist check ups as well as my 28 week sonogram and check up that Thursday. I passed my glucose test and baby looks as healthy as can be with an estimated weight over 3 lbs. I did however measure as having quite a bit of extra fluid around baby so the doctor put me on a low carb diet. This was devastating news as I was having a food aversion and no pasta or bread limited my menu options even further. Despite wanting to give up then and there, I pressed on. I've been struggling with hormones and being sad quite a lot, but I keep having to look at the light at the end of the tunnel when my body will (hopefully) normalize again. Thursday was rough. I've been being surprisingly good about the new diet, and everyone else had not been impacted. so I'll call that a win. This kid has been kick up a storm, much to the delight of his siblings. Hoping that means that the find is going down to normal levels. We'll see.

Francis has been working tirelessly on his dissertation, but has still managed to be home in the evenings to spend time with the kids. We've resumed our evening walks, which is a double edged sword. They help me stay healthy and get my exercise in, but I have braxton hicks contractions and ligament pain afterward. I'll keep at it as long as my body will let me though. It's worth it to have that family time.

Monday after the grocery store and lunch, we went to the George Bush Library Museum to sign the book honoring Mrs. Barbara Bush. It was nice for the kids to learn about her life (she was buried on site two days before) and they also had a cool exhibit about Da Vinci's inventions that the kids loved. We got some unexpected news while there that Christian had probably gone into labor with her second set of twins. To make matters worse, Chad had had surgery of his own that morning and wasn't supposed to be up or walking, my mom was in Austin, my dad was watching the older twins and Dani and her husband we at work. I hurried home and packed for myself and the kids in about 10 minutes and after a dinner engagement, the kids and I headed straight to Dallas. We arrived just before midnight. Fortunately my Dani and Kevin were able to get the older twins from my dad who got to the hospital about the same time as someone drove Chad there also. Chad made it in time for Christian to have a C-section, and my mom made it back from Austin in time to see the twins shortly after they were born. The were 5lbs 15 oz(Gideon) and 6lbs 15 oz (Timothy). Not bad for being a month early! Anyway, the older twins were already asleep when we got to my parents so I relieved Dani and Kevin (my father had also just arrived) so they could get some sleep. For the next three days I had five kids I was in charge of (with valuable help here and there as it could be spared). Five car seats fit in my car (thank goodness!) which made us able to visit the hospital two days, go get food and visit a place called KidMania where they could run around. All the kids loved meeting the new siblings/cousins, but my kids were especially enthralled. They all three wanted to be holding a baby at all times while we visited. The oohed and ahhed and are so in love (as am I!). Thursday Christian was discharged, so my dad took the older twins home so they could see mom, dad and Sweetie. It was a wild week, but I'm so glad I could be there. Taking care of 5 kids (3 of which are 2 years old) is exhausting, and my body felt it keenly. My neck has been swelling up on and off since December and 6 or so doctors have told me that it is my lymph node. Well Thursday during the day it began to swell even while I was on antibiotics (which is what normally would cure it), so I had to go to urgent care that evening when my dad got home. They changed me to a different antibiotic, which still did no good, and so the kids an I headed home Friday morning back home to College Station.

Saturday I was miserable, being unable to eat as my neck was so swollen, my jaw would barely open. Sunday was the same and I cried when I even thought about food. The only highlight of Sunday was seeing William and Robert get their AWANA awards at their end of year ceremony. I'm so proud of them.

Monday morning I couldn't take it anymore and after much anguish, prayer and tears, I called the doctor nearest to my house, which happened to be an ENT. I just hoped he could give me a different answer than everyone else was giving. They said they could see me in 20 minutes (thank you Jesus!). I rushed over with the kids in tow (thankfully the office was super kid friendly and even had a toy/play room!). The doctor listened attentively and checked me out. "It's not your lymph node," he told me. "You have salivary stones. They are kind of like kidney stones but calcium deposits in your salivary glands." He got his tools and performed a procedure where he dilated the gland and cleared out the fluid. He said it would take a couple of days to go down fully but, I felt near instant relief! I got home and was actually able to eat lunch and I cried tears of joy. I'm happy to report that the gland has gone down more and at least one large stone has passed. I'm doing all I can to help the process along, and I'm hoping to prevent another occurrence. The ENT did agree that it could be pregnancy related due to the timing of the first flare up. I'm hoping this is the case and that this problem will end once I deliver. We shall see. I've gotten much of my energy back (the doctor was shocked at how long I had endured the pain), and I've been able to do things the past couple of days that I have been in far too much pain to do for months.

The kids are doing well. We started Kindergarten for Robert and 2nd Grade for William on Monday. I'm hoping to get as many days in as I can before baby comes and the boys are super excited at present to be in new grades. Hoping the magic keeps up as long as possible. Hannah is currently sitting in my lap telling me what I should be writing. She is a little lady who knows her mind. I love them all!

Dinner is calling. Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment