Tuesday, May 15, 2018

May 15, 2018

We've been busy yet again. Back on May 4th we got to celebrate Star Wars Day at the local library with coloring, origami, Star Wars books and an appearance by a tie fighter and storm trooper. These people were committed and their costumes looked completely authentic which delighted my kiddos. They felt like they were getting pictures at Disney World: a win for everyone!

Two Saturdays ago was a particularly busy day. With 7 things on the calendar, we narrowed it down to the top 4. We started off by going to Home Depot for their project day. The kids made and painted windmill planters. They turned out very cute! Then we immediately headed to the hospital where baby boy will be born so the kids could attend a sibling class (about how/when to hold baby, rules about taking care of baby, practicing changing and swaddling baby and much more) and we could all get a tour of the facilities. It was a great experience because they even gave the kids a set of scrubs for each of them to keep. We are pretty sure we are delivering in College Station now (that has not always been the case) so I'm glad to now have the lay of the land. We grabbed a quick lunch at Chick-fil-a and headed to our Classical Conversations End of Year party. The host house had a pool, trampoline, obstacle course, fire pit for smores and so much more. The kids particularly loved the pool despite the cold water. We got home in time to have dinner, take a short rest and then continue on to our final stop of the day: the Brazos Civic Orchestra concert. They played a few pieces including a compilation of Star Wars music. As we had just finished studying orchestra in Classical Conversations, it was the perfect field trip. The kids loved identifying all the instruments and seeing them play together. Overall it was a great day! Not sure I'll be able to take all that in again any time soon though, haha.

Last Tuesday we had our CC Field Day. The kids competed in a number of events and had the most fantastic time. William won 2nd in the egg run and Robert won first in the sack race in their respective groups. Most importantly they lost graciously, cheered on their classmates, and had fun. The littlest group (Hannah's) had fun doing whatever they pleased at each station. It was pretty adorable to see them try out things like the three-legged race. We are so blessed to be able to participate in such fun things. I thank God for the wonderful opportunities he had placed in our lives!!

Friday we got to hang out with many friends at Altitude Trampoline Park for Toddler time. Three hours of jumping, ziplines, battle beams, rock climbing, foam pits, and dodge ball will make a kid good and worn out, let me tell you! It was even more fun to be with friends than it would have been to go alone. My heart is truly full. If that wasn't enough, Friday evening was mother-son "Date Knight" at Chick-fil-a. They decorated the restaurant like a castle, we had table side service, a photographer, balloon person, live music, crafts and treats after our food. It was so fun to hang out with my boys an hear their thoughts on life in a relaxed setting. At the same time, Francis and Hannah went and picked out paint for her new head board and night stand (she chose purple) and a new mattress for her big girl bed. Both trips were a success! After the kids were in bed that night, Francis and I began the task of changing the office into a nursery. It's not complete yet, but we've made great progress!

Saturday my in-laws stopped by and helped us move furniture around into the nursery and Hannah's room. We then all met up with Cyndy, Chris and Abby at Blessington Farms outside of Houston. The kids had great fun despite the heat, and afterward we went to an indoor playground and dinner before heading home. That was packed Saturday too, because when we got home, we continued working on the nursery. I'm beginning to think we are nuts. Oh! and baby dropped on Saturday too. He went from being high to where I couldn't breathe to being much lower. I have pictures of before and after which shows just how dramatic a change it was.

Sunday was Mother's Day. Francis got breakfast and I got to open cards, and a gift from my husband and kids. We did church and lunch at Jason's Deli (one of the few "fast" places I can eat at present). We came back and worked on assembling Hannah's big girl bed and moving the crib over to the nursery. It was more work than anticipated, but both Hannah and baby at least have a place to sleep. Hannah also has a new (to her) chest of drawers to go with her princess bed. She loves it and even managed to stay in her own bed all night the first night! We had dinner at Outback Steakhouse to finish off the day, ad Francis surprised me with chocolate covered strawberries so I could cheat on my diet a little but not too much.

Today the kids and I went to Lick Creek Park for their trail buddies story time. Contrary to the promised "short nature walk", we ended up hiking about a mile through the trails of the park. I was exhausted by the end but the kids loved it. They also loved playing at the nature center afterward where I met another mom who is starting homeschooling this coming year. We talked a long time and it was nice to get in some adult conversations today.

My health overall has not been great. My salivary stones start back up during/after each meal so eating is really not fun or enjoyable for the most part. I have to put heat on my neck and massage like crazy to get them to pass so the swelling will go down. At my doctor appointment on Thursday, baby's fluid was back within normal range, but doc wants me to stay on the low carb diet. It's very difficult when many soft foods that would make it easier to eat fall under the carb label. It's a catch 22. Also, my joint pain has kicked in in full force. It it harder and harder to walk, and all of my joints ache. At night when I lay on my side, my hip and/or shoulder come out of joint causing my leg and arm to go numb and be incredibly painful. So I'm not getting sleep. And I'm huge and swollen. This makes for general unpleasantness all the time. The icing on the cake is I'm fighting a sinus infection. I've still got 8 weeks till my due date, and I know the Lord is in control. I just have to keep fighting the good fight while I wait and hope everything returns to normal when this baby is born.

I know there's more, but I've run out of time. Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment