Monday, September 25, 2017

September 25, 2017

It's been a whirlwind couple of weeks. Francis went to Houston to help with Hurricane Harvey cleanup Saturday before last. William did not understand why he had to be gone on a Saturday. Nothing I could tell him would make him understand. Finally I asked him to imagine that all his Pokemon cards had gotten ruined and that he would have to start his collection over. He had tears well up in his eyes. I told him that many people lost all their Pokemon cards, all their furniture and all their things. He was then glad Francis was there to help. I'm thankful for a husband who wants to help.

This past week we continued in our weekly routine until Thursday night when my sweet friend Rebecca and he son Jonas came to visit us from Abilene. She is on sabbatical from work and blessed us by spending some time with us. We took the kids to the park Friday morning for playgroup, had lunch at Mcalister's Deli (where I left my credit card and didn't discover it until Saturday, but it was safe!), played around the house in the afternoon, had a delicious tortellini dinner and then went on an evening walk to the closest park. It was a lazy day, but the kids had a blast. Rebecca and I talked past midnight that night. My soul was renewed by spending time with this kindred spirit. I could've talked hours more. Saturday morning after breakfast they headed back. The kids were sorry to see Jonas go. Hopefully we will see them again when we go to Abilene in October!

Saturday was a busy day. After our house guests left I discovered my credit card was gone while checking out at Walmart, and had to go get it. I'm so glad it was still there! All of us then went to the Classical Conversations Family Fun pool party at someone's house. They had a pool and a huge inflatable water slide. We were able to swim and watch the A&M game (which we couldn't do at home). After the party we headed to Hadassah's 3rd birthday party at a gym place in town, so my kids got to run around for another hour and a half. It was such a fun day, but whew we were ready for bed that night!

In other news, Hannah has taken a shine to wearing jewelry. She has been wearing ALL of her jewelry (3 necklaces and 6+ bracelets) every day, all day unless I make her take them off. She keeps saying that they are "beautiful". She also wants to wear the googles from swimming all the time, but I finally hid them and she hasn't asked today. I would let her wear them except they are hard and leave marks on her face. She tries to sleep in them too. She loves to accessorize!

Robert is starting to spell and read a few words. I'm not pushing him. He wants to read like William, so we are taking it slow. He's also started doing single digit addition on his own with high accuracy. I love that he's motivated. He's becoming more of a preschooler every day. I'm biased but I've got some smart kids over here.

William is doing great with his first grade curriculum. He's getting faster at wiriting (thank goodness as it's not his favorite!), and he's loving all the challenges of 2nd grade math. He's doing well in AWANAS (so is Robert) and I've decided to build in some time for studying his verses during rest time. It's been working out really well and I think he's starting to meditate on what the verses actually me.

 All the kids are starting to do more around the house. I'm working on creating responsible future adults, and in turn they are teaching me to be patient. Just because I can do it faster down't mean I should.

That's it for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment