Friday, September 1, 2017

September 1, 2017

This past week has held a lot of tears (both happy and sad). The rain started in earnest here early Saturday morning. It wasn't so bad here at first, but I woke up truly believing my kids would have no one at their party. I underestimated the wonderful people that we have in our lives. After fretting far more than I should all morning, every friend came save the ones stuck in Houston (which is understandable!)!!! I shed tears of joy at the love these people poured over us. It was a sweet time with cupcakes, pinatas and, of course, Pokemon. The kids had a blast!!! My family and in-laws all made it in miraculously by early afternoon so we had a family party with the whole family save those stuck in Houston and Austin. The boys got a ton of Pokemon cards (their favorite)! Again I shed happy tears. Thank you friends and family. You touched my heart more than you will ever know. Thank you for loving me and my children!

The rain continued through Sunday, and we had a little trouble making it to church, but it was fine. we had 700 people in the service when the pastor was thinking there would be less than 50. We don't like missing church! It rained through most of Monday, and we got around 25-30 inches over the weekend, but thanks to a ton of pasture land and good flood planes, I was never worried about flooding. And now because we are in such good shape and so close to Houston, we are able to house many of the rescue workers in town, fuel up aircraft and our church is currently open to house medical teams at night. I'm happy with how available our community if to help the victims of Hurricane Harvey. We are in it for the long haul.

Francis had volunteered overnight and gone through official disaster relief training. I pray he will be a light when he is called down to Houston in the next month or two for clean up. I've been collecting up needed items and getting them to people/group who are driving down. I cry because it doesn't feel like enough. But God is in control and so I pray for those impacted.

Tuesday we started a new year of Classical Conversations. I am tutoring the boys' class this year, and so Tuesday was my first day back teaching in a classroom setting in years. It was bumpy and teaching my own kids was more challenging than I anticipated, but we made it through with the grace and love of the other moms in the room. I love my CC community. Hopefully next week will run smoother and I will get into a good groove. It was Robert's first time in class ever and he LOVED it. I'm so glad.

That's all for now. The kids are doing well. They have been enjoying the boys' birthday gifts, doing school, and being kids. Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment