Tuesday, December 8, 2015

December 8, 2015

A lot of growing has happened in my house this week. Some good, some less good.

I'll start with the negative: William has started to lie. Up until Wednesday I never had to doubt what William said. I knew it was coming someday, but I still don't like it. William cut up something I had just bought. When I confronted him (about a 25cent piece of felt), he said Robert did it. I asked him how Robert did it and the response broke my heart, "I didn't see him do it, but I heard him with the scissors". Another lie. I finally told William that I was going to go pray about it and see what God told me to do. William then came clean that he did it. His punishment was he didn't get to go to Home Depot with Daddy and Robert to do the craft on Saturday. He hated that. He has since been caught lying 3 times and missed out on something fun each time. After his last consequence he stated solemnly, "Lying isn't good. It gets me in more trouble and God doesn't like it. I don't want to lie." I am hoping this was an epiphany, but only time will tell! He is such a smart and kind kid. I want him to use those powers for good!

 Thursday we did a craft (making a Christmas card holder) at MOMS group. It was truly stressful for me. so many choices to be made and then we had to decorate it. I am not crafty (pinterest is almost a dirty word to me sometimes because it reminds me of all the things I can't do). If you ever get something handmade from me, you know I must really like you. I made it through, and the holder is displayed on our fireplace. Whew! Thursday evening our church had "A Night in Bethlehem" for our preschoolers. The kids stepped into a scene from bible times inside the church. There was a petting zoo, bakery, stable scene, live actors, a market, bakery, florist and so much more. The kids got to make crafts at each stop (a fabric ornament, flower wrapping and a cookie), get a picture with Mary and Joseph, buy food at the market with gold coins, and play with animals. Most of all, the kids were able to picture what life was like in Jesus's time. The full size stable and manger gave my kids a picture of where Jesus was born that no model could have. We were able to talk with the boys about Jesus and why we have Christmas. It was so special.

Friday we had a playdate making gingerbread houses. It was so fun to see the boys creativity. Robert is more of a "good enough" builder at this point and William puts in more thought. It will be interesting to see if they continue that when they are older.

Saturday, the boys and Francis put up the Christmas lights (after Robert and Francis got back from Home Depot). I am very impressed with our neighborhood's light displays and feel we might need to up our game for next year. But the kids are satisfied, so all is well. After nap time, we went to "Christmas in the Park" at central Park here in College Station. Oh wow, it was amazing! They had inflatables, hay rides, a snow hill to tube down, free cookies and cocoa, food, shops, and lights galore. When it got dark, the whole park lit up in a beautiful display! What a day and evening we had! We ran into so many people we knew too. I love the small town feel here, and the big town opportunities. It's so nice.

Back to growing. Robert has grown up so much this week. He is communicating so well and looks  much more like a preschooler than a toddler all the time. On Sunday Hannah woke up from her nap fussing. Robert, distressed, got me and pulled me to Hannah. Up until this point, he usually is kind but not overly fascinated with her. He told me, "mommy, Hannah! Get Hannah!" I picked up Hannah and she quieted. Then Robert asked. "Mommy hold her please?" "You want to hold her?" "Yes hold her please." Robert put out his arms and after sitting down, I handed over Hannah. Robert said sweetly, "Oh Hannah, sh sh. Sweet baby. Hannah!" He cooed for a good 5 minutes and it made my heart happy. Since then he wants to hold, talk to, and play with her all the time. He's such a great brother!

Hannah's second tooth came in on Friday. We are both very relieved. She had her 4 month check up on Wednesday. She is now 14lbs 4 oz, 26.25 in long and has a big head like the rest of my smart kiddos. she is getting more coordinated with her crawl, but it is still arms or legs and not both working together. She can sit up for a couple seconds, and the doctor said we can start solid food. We will likely wait just a little bit though as the holidays will be a hectic time to start. Hannah is so interactive. She laughs at us and talks. She is such a joy. If she'd sleep a little more in her crib, though, I certainly would not complain. We'll get there though someday!

I think that's all for now. Pray for Francis as he starts finals on Friday. He has meetings on campus with people from UT, NASA and Boeing this week, so I don't know when he will have time to study. Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment