Monday, August 31, 2015

August 31, 2015

Wow, 2 weeks since I've written and this month has almost gotten away from me. In that time, we now have a 1 month old, a new house and a student in our family.

The move was not easy. Trying to coordinate everything and figure out where best to utilize my time was hard and finding places to feed Hannah while the movers were taking things in and out was challenging. But everything got here, mostly in one piece. We had a few casualties, but nothing we can't part with or fix. We did manage to make it to church that Sunday after the move and going back to Central Baptist after 5 years was weird and cool all at the same time. The boys had a good time and learned about Jesus, and we saw the Browers as well as some other people we recognized.

Francis headed back that Sunday leaving the kids, my mom and I here for the week while he finished up his last week of work. His coworkers were in shock over his leaving and many of them said they refused to let him go. Human resources said if he ever wants to come back, there is a position there for him. I'm glad he left on good terms. My mom and I spent the week getting the kids settled and the house put together. I am proud to say I made a huge amount of progress even with a 3 week old. In fact now at the 2 week mark, we only have 20 boxes left to unpack. We've even hung some stuff on the walls. We are not done, but I feel like we are getting closer. I'm so thankful to my mother though. She kept me sane, fed us and made the first week in a new house bearable. Thanks mom!

Francis returned that Friday and after more setting up, we actually made it to both sunday school and service at church. We attended the parents of preschoolers class and recognized around 1/3 of the class. No one that we recognized really spoke to us, but others did and we were even invited to a small group get together that Tuesday. After church, we had lunch at the Browers' house and William and Robert got to spend the afternoon playing with Penelope and Forrest while Hannah slept and the adults (Audrey came too!) got to catch up on the events going on in our lives. It was wonderful.

We did decide to go to the get together Tuesday. There were a ton of kids around our kids' ages and the boys had a blast playing outside. Francis got to know some of the men and I had a great chat with the ladies. We were even invited to a play date that Friday. A lady asked if we had been in the newlyweds class back in the day and we said yes. She told me that she and her husband had spent Sunday morning trying to figure out how they knew us. she said she was very happy we were back.

So our oven has been messed up since we moved in and is still not fixed, but a guy came to look at it last Wednesday. He said it is a manufacturer's defect and he would contact them. Francis had the day off on Wednesday from all his orientations so we decided after the man left that we would go do something tourist-y. We settled on trying out the Children's Museum in Bryan. The boys had fun exploring all the exhibits and Hannah slept on me in the harness. She's a great baby, my Hannah. Most babies are completely unpredictable, but she is already mostly in a routine and I can work around it well (I type this and she'll change, but oh well). Anyway, it was a fun day. Wednesday night was not so fun. The house kept getting hotter and hotter until we finally called our home warranty people to get it fixed. It was 85 in the house in the middle of the night. Because we had an infant, they made fixing it a priority. I took the kids out for lunch on Thursday to chick-fil-a. Francis came home after his orientation to wait for the guy to fix the A/C while the kid's and I hung out at the Browers. William did not want to leave when it was time to go and Penelope did not want him to leave. It was sweet. Yay for a fixed A/C too. we slept much better that night.

Friday the kids and I went to the playdate at Veteran's park with a bunch of ladies and kids from the Sunday School class. A woman immediately said, "you're Melissa right? You were in the newlyweds class a while back, right? I knew it! Our entire table recognized you and your husband but we couldn't come up with your names until after class. We are glad you are back in College Station!" So...that explains why no on came up to us, haha. All in all, it's been a good week!

This Sunday many more people came up and welcomed us back to College Station. Knowing we have a newborn and that we've just moved, the class has set up to bring us meals for the next two weeks. I am so so thankful because it one less ball to juggle right now.

The boys are doing great here. William is loveing meeting new friends and getting to do all the fun activities. Robert loves sharing a room with his big brother. William is liking it to because now there is a "boys room". It makes for a challenging nap and bed time, but we'll get there. Hannah being a baby, would likely be content anywhere I am, but she's been a real trooper. She's growing like crazy, getting control of her head somewhat, and enjoying all the love her family (especially her brothers) pour our on her. She's even started to tummy scoot when we do tummy time. I still haven't figured out exactly how she does it, but she will move 180 on her mat and then move off of it in whatever direction she sees fit. She doesn't get far, but it's highly impressive for a now 5 weeks old. I am so proud of my kids.

I am doing ok. These past few weeks have been rough on my system. My emotions have been all over the place, but it forces me to lean more on Christ and less on myself. Francis started school today. It was a little strange buying school supplies with him and explaining to the boys that Daddy was going to school. They are so happy for him and are looking forward to seeing more of him than we did when he was doing 12+ hour days each day. We bought some Blue Bell today to celebrate when he gets home from his first day!

I wish I had time for more detail, but as I said, nap time is challenging. I've got to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment