Wednesday, June 11, 2014

June 11, 2014

Well, I have a 9 month old as of yesterday. That time flew by! It seems like each night I go to sleep thinking how long the day was and wake up a month later (which is actually funny since I get almost no sleep at night most nights).

Last Friday, the boys and I went to the pool with Arlene and Caitlyn for a morning of swimming. It was great fun and it was Robert's first trip in the pool other than the splash pool at Sea World and our wading pool in the back yard. He had fun, but didn't much like the water getting in his face. William swam like a champ with his float vest, and is learning how to steer and get across the pool with ease.

Satuday was a full day. We went to Walmart, then Home Deopt, then out to the mall for lunch, a mall cooking demo for kids, and the Hot Dog Dance at the Disney Store. Finally we went to the Aquarium before heading home for naps. For dinner Francis made the most delicious burgers. Even Robert couldn't get enough!

Francis took over being the  full fledged director for our Bible Life (Sunday school) class on Sunday as the previous directors moved back to Atlanta. When he first volunteered to be the "fill-in" director, I nealry passed out from surprise since public speaking isn't his thing. but he has really risen to the challenge. He seems comfortable and makes every effort to make everyone else at east as well. I'm so proud of him!

Sunday evening, my mom and sister Danielle drove down to see us as they hadn't seen the boys in over a month. William and Robert were overjoyed to see them and mom and Dani stayed until after Lunch the next day, much to the boys' delight. My mom even got to join William in his Little Gym class before lunch and he is still talking about how much fun he was. Grandmothers and Aunts are the best!!

Monday started our summer classes at the Little Gym. As I was leaving, I asked if they'd done the drawing for all the prizes from priority enrollment. Ms. Shauna (who is now both boys' teacher) said that they had and she would call me after talking to Ms. Andi. I have been putting off booking William's birthday party anywhere because they hadn't done the drawing. Well, sure enough, I get a call telling me that William has won a free birthday party at The Little Gym. They actually drew his name and put it back because he's won the grand prize (a free summer or season at the Little Gym) two of the last three times (adding up to a free year of classes). But then they went to draw again and pulled his name out a second time! I laughed until I cried. I joked that I should take him to Vegas because he wins so often at things out of his control. Sooo...now our decision of where to have William's birthday is both easier and harder since I had in my head we would have it at a local splash pad. I guess We'll just have to let William decide!

Yesterday Robert turned 9 months and we started off the day by having pictures done. The pictures turned out well and while we waited for them to be printed, I took the boys to Cici's Pizza next door. William ate a lot of pizza (including the promised dessert pizza since he had been good that morning), and Robert ate a full slice of cheese pizza (minus the very bottom crust which was too tough, and an apple dessert slice. I had two happy kiddos! We then went to the mall and played on the playgrounds while we waited for 2 pm to come around. Robert loved the coin rides and I even forked out the money so both boys could ride the circus truck. It was a red-letter day to be sure! At 2 we went to the Disney store for their "summer days" activity  (that day it was learning to draw Mickey), and William received his weekly pin for his lanyard. Saturday was Mickey and Minnie mouse, which he was thrilled to get, but this week it was Sofia the First. He refused to take it from the lady saying, "That's Sofia. That's a princess pin for girls. I'm a boy. I don't want that pin." He had a mini meltdown and I took the pin from the lady and we headed home. We talked about that everyone that week was going to get the same pin, both boys and girls. Next week everyone was going to get a Jake and the Neverland pirates pin, even the girls. He nodded and seemed to understand. It's the first time he's really cared if something is for "boys" or "girls". I'll be interested to see how this goes moving forward. Robert and William helped me to make dinner. We made hot ham sandwiches which required both grinding up ham and shredding cheese. Both boys were fascinated with this process and delighted with the results. Robert and one whole sandwich and William ate two (in addition to their vegetables and fruit, of course). I guess the meal was a hit!

Today Robert had his check up. He's healthy! He's 18lbs 6 oz (up 10 lbs from birth), and 29 inches. He's not off the charts like his brother was (except in head size, our family just has big heads), but he's sure long and lean. He's quickly outgrowing his 12 month clothes, and I am starting to put him in 18 month gear. My big boy! The doctor was impressed with his standing/walking progress and said there is no way he'll make it to his first birthday and not be walking independently. She thinks it will happen very soon, so we'll see. she also noticed a tooth on top is about to poke through. That explains all the gnawing on me he has been doing. And she said to make sure and give him three good meals a day and to start offering him a little water. This makes me a little sad to hear her say this (though I know it's true) because it make me realize he's not such a baby anymore. He gobbled up the grape pieces, apple, peas, and puffs he had for lunch and then flashed a smile that told me he was so proud of himself. I'm proud of him too, to be sure. I just want to enjoy every second! Oh, and they drew blood today to run some routine tests. The guy took the blood from Robert's arm. I held my baby and prepared for the worst, but Robert didn't even cry when they pricked him. He looked interested and watched, completely relaxed and still the whole time. When he was done, Robert smiled at him as he put on the band aid. We may have a future doctor!

That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment