Thursday, August 21, 2014

August 21, 2014

Well, we have a toddler and a big boy in the house now. Just a few weeks ago I would have said we have a baby and a toddler. But times, they are a changin'.

Robert's teeth finally came in which brings his total up to eight. I checked this evening and he has at least another 2 if not 4 about to break through. Earlier this week he had two break through 10 minutes apart. He awoke from his nap screaming so I checked his mouth and none of his teeth had some through (you could see but not feel them). So I waited and felt a short time later as Robert was screaming and gnawing on me. One had come through! Robert was still screaming so I patiently rocked him and tried to calm him. All of a sudden he stopped crying and smiled at me. This made me curious so I checked his mouth again, and sure enough, the second tooth had poked through. Teething may not be painful for all children, but it sure seems to be for Robert. I mentioned he is now a walker. He took three steps in a row on Saturday (after my mother, my Aunt Camille and myself had tried to get him to do it the night before at a Little Gym party). Shortly afterward Francis got home and he took 5 steps (on video!). Since then he's been walking/cruising as much as he has been crawling. He's getting braver and spanning larger and larger distances. He'll also stand in the middle of the room and just hang out for long periods. His legs are getting strong! I'm one proud momma! He's also getting much more vocal. He makes all sorts of sounds and tries to copy some of the sounds I make. I know he enjoys these pseudo conversations, and frankly I do too!

William has had a big week too. He had his first camp this week at the Little Gym. You must be at least 3 and potty independent in order to attend. The theme this week was "Neat Ninjas"! William went on Monday and Wednesday and had a great time. The teachers were very impressed with his listening skills and participation as he was certainly the youngest in the class (ages 3-8). Monday after camp, Francis (who is still working Saturdays and not Mondays) took William to ice skate for nearly 4 hours just the 2 of them. William is becoming a natural I'm told, and Francis got quite a few videos of William crossing the ice solo on skates! He quickly pushes off of the boards and just goes for it. Gotta admire his gumption! After 7 hours of non stop motion and no nap, William still managed to stay up past his bedtime. How does he have so much energy?! Tuesday the boys and I went swimming with Angel, Arlene and their kids Ranger and Caitlyn. I didn't tell William where we were going, and he was over the moon excited to see his friends! They swam and laughed and brough delight to our hearts. Robert enjoyed swimming too. He is fearless, crawling deep into the graded pool and then sitting and splashing with glee!

Today was William's last parent/child class at the Little Gym. Next week he starts the big leagues and will be in class all by himself. As camp was a success, I have no doubt he will be just fine without me, but it does make me a little sad that he's gotten so big. So I'll be sad for a minute so I can prepare to celebrate this big move next week. Ok, minute over. Today was also William's first day of "school". Most of William's friends are going to preschool or being homseschooled this year, and William has been talking about school quite a bit. So Francis and I picked out "prepare for preschool" language arts and math booklets and a home science experiments book. William was excited to start his own school and we did 2 pages in each book as well as 3 of the science experiments. He was so proud of his penmanship and counting that he made me take pictures and send them to his Sweetie (my mom)! It took us about 15 minutes, but (as my mother pointed out) it would have taken hours to do the same in a preschool setting because of the other kids and lack of 1 on 1 attention. Now, we won't be doing preschool in a classroom, but that doesn't mean we can't bring some elements of preschool home! According to William, "Mommy is the best teacher anyway." I knew I liked him.

Well, that's it for now!


No comments:

Post a Comment