Friday, December 20, 2019

December 20, 2019

It's been equal parts quiet and busy around here. The second week of December was filled with play dates. We decorated cookies, played at parks and attended the science class at Lick Creek Park. It was so fun and pretty relaxing too. After all the fun, I started to feel under the weather. I haven't fully recovered and have been taking it easy. I've been having to take naps in the afternoon to keep up with my kiddos. I'm exhausted. I'm still teaching in the mornings (which I love), or I'd be sleeping in too. I'm so ready to be at 100% again!

Today we head to Dallas for the start of Christmas festivities. We'll spend the weekend with my family and then move over to my in-laws' for Christmas eve and Christmas day. It should be a wonderful time. May you have a Merry Christmas as we celebrate the birth of our savior!

Andrew has been growing by leaps and bounds. He is in to everything, partially because he just has to know everything! He's giving me a run for my money, and I'm trying to remember it's a phase. He is becoming more aware of his surroundings too. This morning when he woke up, he saw all the presents under the tree were missing (they are packed up and ready to go). He checked every inch under the tree before pointing at it in confusion. He has also started to sit an listen to books being read. It's possible I'll have 4 little bookworms soon.

Hannah is doing well. She is in a testing rules phase, but is quickly learning that the reason for rules is mostly her own protection. We've had a few ice packs needed around here lately. She loves Andrew and all babies. She has developed a sweet group of little friends. You ask her who her best is, and she'll rattle off around 20 names before you cut her off. She likes most everyone, which makes her very likable. She's got down letters and their sounds and will point them out around town. It's so fun to see her mind at work!

Robert had taken off suddenly with reading. He is reading novels now (like over 200 pages!). This just started in the past couple of weeks. He's reading over my shoulder currently and nodding at what I'm typing. I'm so proud of you, Robert! "I can read that whole thing!" he just said. Robert is also proud to announce that he can tell time and add and subtract even the biggest numbers (mostly in his head!). He's also still sweet as sugar with a "mini-hulk" streak. I think I'll keep him.

William is still an avid reader. He checked out 6 novels yesterday from the library and read them all before dinner. He and Robert have been listening to "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" at night. Books are an essential part of our house. William is working on his French also and with him wrapping up part of his schoolwork (already?!?), we are going to devote more time to it. If I've learned anything from teaching children in China English, it's that hard work and practice pay off! William is beginning to hear and recognize French with more consistency, and this can only help his language production. I'm so proud of him too!

Francis and I are doing well. Not much to report from us. Francis is the assistant coach for William's basketball team this year and games for both big boys begin in January. I managed to get the bulk of Christmas shopping done and wrapped before I started feeling bad, so I've been able to relax a bit in that department. The only exception was the three hours I spent helping the kids wrap the gifts they bought for their siblings and cousins. My whole body hurt by the end, but the kids learned how to wrap packages!

That's it for now! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!


No comments:

Post a Comment